Monday, September 27, 2010



(click photos to enlarge)

bb:Skooter... How did the art gig start?
skooter: Well I just found out the other day from my mom that starting when I was about 2 years old my favorite thing was coloring, (laughs), I guess I’d be playing outside with my brother but after a little bit I would ask if I could go inside and color my coloring books.

bb: Dude that’s ripping. What were you influenced by as a young dude?
skooter: My main influence growing up that kept me drawing was my grandpa Gizmo. He was an amazing cartoonist and also owned a backpacking shop in LA, he was a jack of all trades. There’s actually a hiking spot in the San Gabriel Mountains named after him, we found out recently, called “Gizmos Peak”. When I was six or seven he made half a comic book called “the Adventures of Skooter and SuperGiz” about him and me being superheros and fighting a monster, he mailed it to me from Idaho and I made the second half, it was awesome I still have the cover of it framed in my booth at the tattoo studio. Also my Uncle Don, he’s a recently retired ceramics teacher from Rancho Cucamunga. I remember when I was a little kid he taught me how to draw a Stegosaurus.



bb: Who are a few artists who influence you today?
skooter: So many, dude... The first that come to my mind are tattoo artists like Mike Santafe, Marc Womer, Shannon Lee, Jay Cooper, Todd Noble, Quinn Guererro, and Asa Lee Crow IV. Also M.C. Escher, my grandpa “Mister Gizmo”, my uncle Donald Cortese, Big Daddy Roth, Todd Bratrud, Pusshead, my homie Taylor Orman (check out his site www.the6gun.com) shit man many more too many to list, I’m influenced by everything I see or come in contact with.

bb: What in general influences your style of art; do you feel you have a certain "style?"
skooter: I am really influenced by my grandpas “cartoony,” caricature style because that’s basically what I have been trying to be emulating ever since I can remember. Also traditional American tattoo style, kind of, since I’ve been tattooing. I’m really into that but everything I draw comes out like a mix of that and my previous cartoon style. I reference a lot of Sailor Jerry and Jay Cooper stuff.



bb: Does skateboarding inspire your art at all?
skooter: Dude so much, in every which way. Skateboarding and lowbrow art go hand in hand for sure. Also, rock-n-roll. My whole god damned left arm is covered in only skateboard tattoos


bb: So art and skateboarding pretty much coincide naturally?

skooter: Like I just said they go hand in fuckin’ hand. Skateboarding is an art in itself. It’s a form of self-expression, really man and that is art, don’t you think?

bb: I do, sir.
skooter: I get the same rush riding my skateboard as I do making a painting, or doing a tattoo. It is epic. As cheesy as it sounds, art is all around us, everything is art and art is everything, art is the whole reason for our existence. Art is everything and everything is art in its own weird fuckin’ way, I think.



bb: You work at a tattoo shop yeah? What's it called and where is it located?
skooter: Skull and Dagger Tattoo Co., (previously known as Slinger’s Ink Tattoo). We’re in San Diego on Miramar road in between the Pyramid and the 805, west of the UTC mall. Come by and get some Ink!!! Great work for a fair price ALWAYS!! Also, military discounts. Come by and mention this SWAMPASS interview and I will give you a mad discount for sure!!! The address is 6904 miramar rd 92121 or hit up the shop phone at 858 549 2828!!!!!!! Do it now!!

bb: You heard the man, get on it folks... if you know what’s good for you. How long have you been posted there?
skooter: Around two years now, it’s the shit!



bb: What's the best part of the gig?
skooter:
Tattooing and painting all day! Meeting new people everyday at work and actually spending time getting to know them. This is the first job I’ve ever had where going to “work” isn’t a bummer. Even if there was no money in tattooing I would still do it on the side of whatever else because I love it so much.

bb: What's the worst (if anything)?
skooter: You’re kidding right? I guess the worst thing is that it’s too fucking rad and too much fun!! (Laughing). No, I guess the worst thing is that I have to budget my money my own damn self because I get paid on commission instead of every two weeks, but that’s a personal flaw, there’s nothing wrong with the job! It’s really the best job in the world!!!



bb: What's it like tattooing someone, knowing that what your doing will permanently be staining this persons skin?
skooter: Shit, when you put it that way it’s nerve-racking (laughs). No it’s actually really cool, definitely one of--if not the most--gratifying feelings in the whole world. It is amazing to give someone a piece of art that they will carry around on their body until they die. Something that will make them feel special, help them remember a time in their life, amongst many things tattoos make you feel.

bb: Are you ever nervous?
skooter: Fuck, man... When I started I would get so nervous right before I tattooed my homies. I would literally be shaking but then I’d have to calm down to get my hand steady (laughing), then I got used to that but then I would get really nervous to tattoo strangers especially girls for some reason, but by now I have gotten used to it, I have way more confidence than back then. Its still nerve racking to try new things but as my boss always says I “practice on PAPER not on PEOPLE”!! So when its time to do the tattoo I’m always more than well prepared!

bb: So tell me about how you designed Soggybones Magazine's first T-shirt, and how did you get involved with them?
skooter: Well, Taylor (Orman) told me they wanted me to do their shirt and I was way hyped, I think its cause they saw the stuff I’ve been doing for Typical Culture and it fit the bill, with the skeletons and soggy bones and whatnot.



bb: Have you done work for any other companies?
skooter: Yeah for Typical Culture zine check that shit out!! www.typicalculture.com. There’s a TC and RNCK (Roughneck Hardware) collaboration bolt that I did a graphic for check that out too!! Those guys are radical! I didn't even know about it until it was already made Dowdy surprised me with it at crossroads, so hyped!!! Go buy some Roughneck hardware!!!! Got some more stuff in the works, more Typical collaborations, plus other stuff too check out my blog: www.connorgetzlaff.blogspot.com to stay updated (laughs).

bb: Have you ever thought of art being a type of "career choice" for your future?
skooter: Man I always hoped so and now it’s definitely my career. My last gig before this, I was a substitute custodian for the Poway school district, and I ain't goin back to that!



bb: What's your favorite stuff to draw?
skooter: Shit I don’t know, skate related stuff, rock-n-roll type of stuff, anything really... I just love to draw. Especially funny stuff, stuff that I find funny at least, like inside jokes and stuff, I always make semi-funny cartoons that crack myself up but probably no one else (Laughing).

bb: Do you like drawing with like pencils and a piece of paper, more than painting, or tattooing? Which do you prefer?
skooter: I guess all three (laughs). No, on paper my favorite medium is definitely watercolor, but I always draw the sketches with pencil, and of course tattooing skin, but that’s a whole other matter. I guess the best answer is watercolor painting and tattooing, this is pretty much all I want to do for the rest of my life – as of now!!

bb: Beer of choice?
skooter: Pabst fool! And also Bud, Great White, Pacifico, Colt 45, Yellowtail Ale, and Stone IPA



bb: (Laughing) I knew you were gonna say Pabst. How about your dinner of choice?
skooter: Shit man there are a few... dinner out = Rockin’ Baja Lobster, or Sahiras Mexican Food which is literally three or four doors down from Skull and Dagger in Miramar (laughs). Check them out... best mexican food I’ve ever had, and they’re friendly as hell, too. Dinner in = anything that my chick and I cook up (We’ve been cooking a whole lot lately since we watched that movie July and Julia) or my Mom’s spaghetti sauce from our secret family recipe - I grew up with this it is the best sauce in the world any fine Italian restaurant will never come close!!

bb: Best movie?
skooter: Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure!!!

bb: Best movie QUOTE?
skooter: Too many! “You said it man, nobody fucks with the Jesus!”
"What exactly do you thrash? --What do you got?"



bb: Shout outs to the sponsors?
skooter: Oh for sure! What up to Rene and Sacrifice Skateboards, Broadcast wheels... Kely you are the man! Urban Boardshop, you guys are radical! Stop by they’re in Poway right on Poway and Pomerado at the Millers gap. Also to my friends Muffin head, Matt Holdredge, and Steve Clare, you guys are the best! Thank you for supporting my ass if it wasn’t for you I’d be pretty fucked! (Laughing). Also what’s up to Roughneck Hardware, I know I’m not on your team but you guys are fuckin rad!! Also Skull and Dagger tattoo co., they aren’t my skate sponsor but they’re my employer so what up! You guys rippp!!!! Come by the shop and get tattooed!! 6904 Miramar rd. San Diego, Ca. 92121

bb: Shout outs to the homies?
skooter: Way too many homies to mention... shit! I love you all, all humans on this planet earth! Everyone I mentioned in that last question I love you guys all thanks for your support you’re the best, also big shout outs to TORMENT CREW!!! You guys are the shittt!! And also BROKE crew! The newest crew No Shirt crew! And also the 14-man-crew!!! (A whole lot of skate homies, (laughs)). Everyone at the tattoo shop, Mike SantaFe – thank you for taking me on as your apprentice! Everyone from Poway and PQ skatepark, all of my friends from Typical Culture and Washington Street you guys rip!!



bb: Anything you'd like to add sir?
skooter: Swamp Ass is the shit! Brian Blakely, you fuckin’ rule! Go ride a skateboard, get tattooed, drink beer, listen to music, life is incredible love it!

[] swamp

No comments:

Post a Comment