Saturday, January 2, 2010

Anthony Nuckols Interview

Skateboarding requires patience, motivation, a unique eye, and the majority of the time, that “I-DON’T-GIVE-A-FUCK” attitude. Skateboarding also takes time, a lot of time, especially if you want to make something of yourself within it. Regardless, I think skateboarding requires skateboarding. The attachment every skateboarder has to his skateboard is a rare affection that not everyone can understand, but I’ll tell you one thing—the ones who do know, know exactly what I’m talking about.

Skateboarding has the tendency to mold people into who they are; the things they see, people they meet, places they travel, et cetera. It’s all due to skateboarding, and you get as much out of it as you let yourself, ya know?

I’m not sure where I’m even going with this, I’m excellent at fading off subject, and I seem to be good at placing my own words in everyone else’s stories. Ha Anyways…

Anthony Nuckols--Just pause real quick and let this name imprint itself in your brain, and do me a favor—don’t forget it. When I first got into skateboarding, to my knowledge, Nuckols was OG as they come. I have a weird respect for anyone who was raised in the Marcos, and though Nucks was born in Texas and spent about the first 4 years there, he’s still been in San Marcos as long as my short 19 year old life, so nonetheless—he’s a straight loc. When it comes to skateboarding in San Marcos, Nuckols name would pop up in the “made-up archive” of skate history more than a handful of times, more than two handfuls man.

Having rode for all the OG shops in this valley of discovery (San Marcos), Nucks has been riding to his full potential forever, never once slowing down, and letting his sponsors, clips, and photos do the talking for him. A modest dude, Nuckols keeps it real, and is always an excellent person to have on the sesh. His bag of tricks is awesome, his smooth style leaves you in awe, and you just feed off of his positive attitude.

(Hardflip in enci)
From the rawest parking lots of downtown San Marcos, (as some would call Mini TJ) to the legendary Stater Bros parking lot and loading dock on Mission, even to demos of all over, Nuckols has handled business every where he goes, keeping the flame lit the entire time. Constantly filming and shooting photos, Nuckols stays busy, and continues to keep his sponsors happy. Never have I seen the dude slow down or lose interest, and never do I think I will.

I would have it no other way than to start the New Year off right by getting Anthony Nuckols officially sketched into The Swamp, and it's no ones fault but mine that I lagged on posting this a day after the New Year, haha. Anyways, enjoy the photos, enjoy the exciting words of Nucks, and be hyped that you get a front row seat to Marcos Skateboarding 101, featuring Anthony Nuckols… a good buddy of mine, and a San Marcos ripper who wears his pride on his sleeve! So with that said--cheers to the New Year, and cheers to Nucks man.

(Kick flip, back... Nose Grind, bitch!)
BB) Yo Nucks! First off, how bout your age, years skating, and where your living
AN) Age: 24
Years skating: 10 and counting!!!
Where I’m livin’: In the Marcos but for you out-of-towners, San Marcos CA

BB) Where did you grow up? (where were you born)
AN) I grew up in San Marcos, Ca, but I’m from the great state of Texas, son. Third coast!!

BB) Where did you grow up skating? What were the first OG spots you recall?
AN) I grew up skating in the streets of the Marcos (San Marcos) with all the homies i played pop warner football with. One person got a baord and soon after that we all got tired of sharing the same board, so we all got our parents to get us our own. We would cruise all over the Marcos... to petco five flat, to knob hill, to san marcos high school, or go to escondido high school, like all in one day... just havin fun adventures, and just havin plain fun.

(I've seen this spot for years but never skated it--Nucks thought otherwise, FS flip into bank, in the Marcos)

BB) How long have you lived in San Marcos?
AN) Wow, I think I’ve been in San Marcos for like twenty years. (Laughing) I feel like a lifer, or like I should run for mayor or something.

BB) Give me your favorite spot in San Marcos (past or recent) that you've skated?
AN) I’ll give you both… in the past--Stater Brothers loading dock was the spot. We would get back home from school, skip homework and anything that had to do with school outside of school and go meet up with the homies and skate there until you couldn’t see a thing… or until a truck came and parked in our way (Laughing) Oh myy, did I hate when that happened!

BB) (Laughing) I know exactly what your talking about...
AN) But now a days I have to say my favorite spot is probably gonna have to be… hmm... I would say any spot where I could be productive. I like it all and we never really enough spots to be able to call one a “favorite” cause its like you'll go to a spot and you wont go back for like another month or so, or even longer, where as when you're first startin out, you go to one spot mainly and just practice all the tricks in your bag with friends at that spot.

BB) Word man, how bout some name-drops of a few old SM locals from back in the day that you used to kill it with?
AN) This is a good one! So many fallen soldiers man… but Tim-Tom (Tim Thomas) who I still skate with of course—I’m sure I would quit if I didn’t have him to push me all the time, and there’s Kyle Brogan, homie is an animal on a board and off, Sean Vogt always a good time, Ricardo Rabago, Mike and Ricky Coronado, Adam Smoltz, Ryan Jenson, Elliot Brown, Bryloski, Jose, Juan, Indio, James Reid, Joseph Avila!!(oh my, this fool ripped!!)… Wow this list can go for ever (Laughing). It sucks that they all quit. I was always the worst one in the group…

(Front Crook from afar)

BB) What shops and companies have you rode for in the past? and who are you riding for now?
AN) In the past I rode for: Schmidts Boardhouse (that my very first sponsor), Urban Boardshop, Adio, World Industries, Cowboy Punk wheels, Krew clothing, Split, Ergo Phobia, I-path shoes, Kontrol Wheels

But now I’m riding for: Active, Silver Trucks, FKD bearings, and Orisue clothing at the moment… but I really want to ride for Adidas and Toy Machine!!

BB) What are your earliest memories of skateboarding?
AN) Oh wow, I have so many, but the earliest I have is I remember goin’ to my homie Ricardo’s house for a weekend sleep over and I remember noticing he had a skate board and he was showin me how he could ollie and do 50-50's, he gave me the board and told me to try to ollie and I did it first try! Since then, I knew I was hooked for life.

BB) What are your plans for skating in the future?
AN) My plans for the future is just to roll until I can’t roll anymore… hopefully travel a lot more, get back into having fun at contests and just have fun with it in general... if I can make a living off of it—cool, but if not, I wont be mad cause I know I made some life-long friends doing it. What more can you ask for, right?

BB) True shit man, How was your New Years by the way?
AN) My new year was super fun!!! I went up to long beach with my neighbors and partied at a house up there… handled lots of champagne (cause that’s what you should be handling on new years) and I got my first kiss of the year from an amazing girl--who I’m really feelin’ (Laughing) Man… not gonna lie, I’m running on like an hour of sleep at the moment.

(Kick flip front nose)

BB) Any plans for the future other than skating?
AN) Well yeah, other than skating I would just love to get a girl and settle down and make life even more amazing. I mean other than skating, that’s the only thing I actually want, as weird as that sounds… but I’m not trying to do that anytime soon. I’m not some love-sick fool you know.

BB) When you’re not skating, what are you usually doing?
AN) I could be up to anything when I’m not skatin. My whole thing is to just keep a smile on my face and keep the good times rollin... so if it sounds fun—I’m all for it. Especially when it comes on to making and eating food. I’m always up for that! I love to cook

BB) Favorite skate trip you've taken?
AN) My favorite skate trip has to be the AZ trip I took with World Industries like two years ago. We went out there for like a week and just skated spots and chilled and watched the Pheonix AM contest. All the homies were there, it was like North County in AZ. It was too tight! Oh my, and we had to drive the World Industries ice cream truck out there and it broke down like twice dude it was nuts! I could go on forever on this trip--new friends, memories, and just good times all week

(Nuckols and the World Inudstries Posse--Arizona)

BB) What was it like filming back in the day- as apposed to filming these days?
AN) filming back in the day was purely for fun and only fun. One homie would come up on a camera, and then the word would get around and sooner or later you're makin a homie video, just cruisin with the homies, no pressure, just fun skatin, and when the video is done its just done.

But nowadays, its kinda the same but after you get all hooked up with sponsers you gotta make sure your shit is tight and crisp. No sketchy landings, proper colors, good angles for filming and shit, cause you never know when your gonna need the footy, so it adds pressure just because you have to put all of the those other aspects into the equation and still try to have fun and not trip out cause your not landing shit. It can play with your mind on some days, but you cant let that stuff get to you. or at least try not to (Laughing)

BB) Who's the usual posse you head out with these days/who are you filming with usually?
AN) I usually go out filming with Chris Mohney, Tim Thomas (tim tom), Vicente Rosales (from the November interview), Christian Amaral, negro and just all the homies. Whoever is down to skate and can help keep us motivated, I’m always down for anyone like that

BB) Filming for any videos?
AN) Yes actually I’m filming for an episode for “Civilized Sundays” on the Transworld website (www.skateboarding.com) Its gonna be Dan (from balitmore) Tim Tom, and myself sharing a section that will come out one of these Sundays, so keep an eye out for that, and im always filming to get new footage up on the Active Army, which is part of the activemailorder website. It’s for all the shop riders for the various Active’s out there.

(This photo SCREAMS San Marcos--Nuckols and Tim Tom, posted)

BB) Ever plan to move out of North County?
AN) To be honest I think about that all the time, but there would be no point to do so, because we live in such an amazing place to skate or just do whatever. The weather doesn’t get any better than here, at all. But all the college kids blows except for my mammoth family. They're the tightest group of non-marcos locals I know. If the other college people would leave i wouldnt think about leaving ever (Laughing)

BB) Favorite spot to grub in san marcos?
AN) Favorite spot to grub in the Marcos would have to be hands down, Pimos Pizza--best spot for calzones ever! If you haven’t gone there yet, try it… you wont be disapointed at all. Sooo good. I actually want one now just talkin about it. (Laughs)

BB) Favorite music tunes?
AN) Um, I listen to anything and everything but country--I hate that crap to death, and same with radio shit cause all these so called rappers live in the month of February with all this lovey dovey bull shit. It’s so played out and girls eat that shit up like its going out of style or something.

BB) (Laughing) So true, so true… What drew you to skateboarding in the first place, and what keeps you doing it today?
AN) What drew me in was the fact that it was something I wasn’t good at, at first. I’m the type of person that if I’m gonna do something, I’m gonna be good at it or just not do it at all. But what keeps me going is just that its too addicting to quit. I’ve never done anything like this before I started skating. So many ups and downs, broken boards from not landing a trick, high fives for landing a trick… the feeling of accomplishment or of failure, You never know what will happen the next time you step on your board. The mystery of finding out what happens the next day you step on your board is just too addicting to me. Oh, and plus the fact that its nothin but good times in general. Good day—or bad day.

(Backside flip at Sunset)

BB) You said it best Nucks, good looks homie! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment