Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mike D'Agostini's Concrete Madness

So at 5:30 in the morning every day, what are you usually doing? Chances are you're sleeping, and chances are Mike is grabbing some coffee, shredding a smoke, and getting ready for a day of work for his families Concrete Business. A full time worker, full time shredder, and full time partier...I envy Mike for living as casual and carefree as he does on a day-to-day basis. All he really wants is some nice cold beer, to have some money in his pocket, and to be able shred a huge, perfect skatepark...

(Get different, Ollie hydrant INTO curb-cut)


I've always seen Mike around, just because of skateparks, spots, homies... et cetera. The shred world here in North County is hardly a secret, and whether everyone wants to admit it or not -- we all lurk. We all lurk in a positive way though because we are the shred scene, and if we're not the ones making changes, shouting opinions, or skating the spots, well then who would?

(Spot look familiar? PQ golden days, Melon)

Mikes talent, flow, and confidence on his skateboard are three easy traits to pride him on. What I like the most though is his raw and humble passion for his skateboard. Working construction can be a pain in the ass, regardless if you're doing it with your family or friends. And to have the energy to go and skate after an 8 hour day of work is seriously rad, because realistically... it's not about the "energy" your putting forth to go and skate, it's just the simple passion and desire of "wanting to," due to how much you enjoy doing it.

(If this trick could talk, it'd be like "Fuck You")
Skateboarding needs more modesty. Mike is fucking rad because quite frankly, in my opinion, I think he could ride for a wide range of companies... shit, if I saw him in the next Anti-Hero ad I would not be surprised... He fits into the rawest aspects of skateboarding. Concrete madness, cases of beer, and never giving a shit about "being sponsored." I think these are three traits I'd much rather pride him on. He skates because he fucking loves it, and by doing that, he's giving a lot back to skateboarding simply by being real, and modest about it. He's not afraid to tell you your shit is wack, and laugh right back at you when you strike him back with criticism--he just doesn't give a fuck, and that in itself, is truly inspiring.

So take a seat, crack one open, and enjoy the amazing photos and obnoxiously humorous words of Mike D'Agostini. This one might even make some grown men cry...

(Back D'Agostini; James Rylander Photography)


“These days I’ve grown out of going to some lame 12 stair spot and throwing my self down it for hours, that shit is wack and I would way rather Back Smith some jazzy quarter-pipe.”
-Mike D’Agostini

“I tried to go to Palomar and that shit is so lame. To me it’s just like high school: jocks everywhere, shitty classes, shitty teachers, shitty vibes…everything sucks about that place. I lasted a month at that place before I said, ‘fuck it.’“
-Mike D’Agostini

(H A M M E R S, thanks)


BB) What’s up man, where are you answering these questions right now?
MD) Right now I’m at my house in Vista, CA.

BB) What'd you do today so far?
MD) Fuck, a grip: Woke up at 530, grabbed a coffee and a smoke, went to work… got off around 2:30 and went for a solo mission at MLK park for a few and now I’m just piling out at my house.

BB) Productive day man, where were you born, and where did you grow up?
MD) BORN AND RAISED IN VISTA! Vista is the best place on the planet. There’s a lot of real people, nobody tries too hard or tries to be someone they’re not. Every city has its marks but I think Vista has the fewest of all North County.

(Back Smiths)

BB) How old are you?
MD) 20. Going on 21 in March… When you see me at the bar by me a drink and give me a high-five!

BB) How many of those years have you been skating?
MD) Fuck… I’ve been skating since I was like 9 or so but I really didn’t get into until I was like 15.

BB) What is it that drew your attention to skateboarding in the first place?
MD) Transitions; tranny is the best thing that there is about skateboarding. I would rather front 5-0 some butter coping on some fun tranny rather than skate anything else.

BB) What are some spots you grew up skating?
MD) Well of course Carlsbad Park… VISTA PARK (rest in pieces), mainly just skate parks. These days I’ve grown out of going to some lame 12 stair spot and throwing my self down it for hours. That shit is wack and I would way rather Back Smith some jazzy quarter-pipe.

(Is there such a thing as "too much tuck?" - Nope.)

BB) Who are some dudes you grew up skating with? Who do you usually skate with a lot these days?
MD) Hmm, back in the day I used to go rip with my homie Cole, who doesn’t skate anymore. I skated a lot with Eric Bennett (Check out Eric’s interview a few post’s down) Jon Rylander, Jeff Robins, I skated with different people everyday pretty much. Today everyone’s schedules are all fucked cause we are all getting older but I usually just go with like Jeff (Robins) or Bryan (Malinski) or whoever is down to go rip. And if everyone is booked for the day, I’ll just go to a local park and just cruise around and usually see some homies.

BB) So I’ve seen you destroy skate parks, pools, and the streets… but what do you prefer to skate overall? Like what do you have the most fun skating?
MD) I have the most fun skating TRANNY! TRANNY! TRANNY! By far best shit around.

BB) Why do you think that is?
MD) I think I love it so much because once you learn how to flow transition everything pieces together and there is nothing like it. Also you can get real spunky with lines, flows, tricks…just everything.

BB) Are you getting hooked up by anyone?
MD) Naw… I’ve never really put together a footy tape. When I was younger I was all about riding for companies but now I’m like fuck it, if someone wants me to ride for them then I would but I’m not going to go out of my way to pursue that shit.

(Mike's 21st is coming in March--buy him a busket)
BB) I like that mind-set man, raw and humble. What’s your favorite skate park in San Diego County?
MD) This is the hardest question in this interview because I love them all. But my favorite is probably Pala Park, just because they have bigger tranny, a pool, and fun little pockets

BB) What’s the your favorite park you’ve ever been to?
MD) Black Pearl Skatepark! Shit is nuts. That place is on some next level shit.

BB) Do you work anywhere? How often?
MD) I work for DCC General Engineering; it’s a family owned concrete company that will be mine in no time. I work full time 40 hours a week… it’s rough, but good money.

(Back Crail @ the MLK park)

BB) Is it hard to find time to skate in between?
MD) Sometimes. Sometimes I don’t skate for a week… sometimes I get to skate everyday… it’s always different.

BB) Do you go to school?
MD) Naw, I tried to go to Palomar and that shit is so lame. To me it’s just like high school: jocks everywhere, shitty classes, shitty teachers, shitty vibes…everything sucks about that place. I lasted a month at that place before I said, “fuck it.”

BB) Off your board, what are you usually doing?
MD) Usually just chilling, hanging out with my chick, gambling, drinking just whatever comes to mind at that time.

(Back Smith through Pala's pool coping)


BB) Top five favorite bands?
MD) 1. Iron Claw
2. Wicked Lady
3. Sabbath
4. Steel Mill
5. Donna Summers!

BB) Top five favorite beers?
MD) 1. Stella
2. Tecate
3. Corona
4. Shocktop
5. Heinekin

BB) What are some old skate videos you remember growing up watching?
MD) This old Sixteen Skateboards video called, “I hate children” I loooooved that video.

BB) (Laughing) That video is epic, Spanky was a little guy in that flick, that shit is loc’d out. You filming for anything right now?
MD) Naw nothing right now. For a bit I was filming with Mike
(Bricke) and all those homies but I perty much lost touch because I stay pretty strapped with work.

(Working w/ concrete and skateboarding are a fine mix)

BB) Who shoots most of your photos?
MD) James Rylander and Jordan Conway. Both are amazing photographers who get down with rad angles. Conway moved to Portland though, so now its just James.

BB) You got any tattoos? Who did it / how old were you?
MD) I got the Stacy Peralta Powell-skull with a skateboard on my leg day I turned 18… and couple weeks ago I got DCC on my wrist which stands for “D'agostini Construction company.”

(Anyone need a new screen saver? Back Smith)
BB) What’s the sickest place you’ve been to because of skating? Or just the sickest place you’ve ever skated in general?
MD) The sickest place hands down is Black Pearl skate park. The tranny towers 30 ft high, the coping hangs out like 2 ft… it’s just a skate park that will make you feel like an idiot because everything is so hard to skate.

BB) What’s the future looking like for you man?
MD) Its looking good--turning 21 soon, getting scrillz, work.

BB) Any shout outs? Or anything you’d like to add?
MD) Shout Out to this website, this shit is so sick! And shout out to James Rylander for shooting all these photos, and shout out to my Chihuahua peewee!

(Mike D'Agostini - James Rylander Photography)


BB) Always a pleasure Mike – Cheers!

Below is a quick clip of Mike, Jeff Robins, and little homie



Also below is some new and old footage of Mike
in Mike (Bricke's) new flick, "Thunder Fuck"


Interview By: Brian Blakely
Photography By: James Rylander
Guest photography: Jordan Conway

No comments:

Post a Comment