Friday, December 4, 2009

Interview: Alex Pedroza

Alex Pedroza has been one of my good friends for a long time now man. I literally can still remember the-first-time I met Pedroza—I’m going to pause to mention I’ll be calling him “Gerbz” the rest of his interview for reasons you’ll soon understand—anyways… Ya, the first time I met him… I was 11 years old, and he was probably like 12 or 13. All my older friends like Anthony (Robles) and Tony (Malacara) knew Gerbz, and we were just meeting up with him one day to skate this 5 stair with a rail that had been cut down a link, so it was really short. (Wayne Gretzky’s rail for the early marcos loc’s) I remember getting there right in the middle of the mayhem, Gerbz was skating the rail and had his homie Richie (the late lil Richie haha) was filming him.

(Nollie Front Shove)
I mean honestly, at this time, I didn’t even know what the fuck skating a rail was even about, regardless if it was dick-high. I saw Pedroza slam on a couple back-bluntslides only until he shafted his ankle, and was unfortunately defeated. I’ll still always remember that moments later he pulled out a 2 liter of Coca-Cola out of his backpack, along with a skate mag, and 4 styro-foam cups. He started reading the magazine, drenched in sweat, and offered us all some soda. From then on, I knew this kid was rad haha. This though, is not the point of the story. The fact that he didn’t make it is not important--it’s the simple fact that Alex has always been on the next level man, just a step ahead. And as far back as I can remember he's been doing unique and gnarlier tricks on a daily basis. His progression is impossible to miss, and he always has a new trick to talk to you about, or to ask, “Ay, would this be sick?”

(Back Smith)
Gerbs is fucking awesome, and he’s incredibly talented. He also supports the Swamp page, but he supports the Swamp Crew just as hard, for he is an official crue member of the Swamp Ass, man.

Anyways, ladies, check this fool out, hit him up on MySpace to get a date or something, and if anything just check this dude out--this kid has always been, to me, the definition of a skateboarder; a true ripper—a fucking shred-head.

Well, anyways… here it is. The Semi-long awaited, Alex “Gerbz” Pedroza interview:

BB) What up Gerbies, Let's hear the basics, age-sex-location.
AP) Male, 21 years young, San Marcos

BB) So what's a usual day like for you when you skate? Who do you usually head out with?
AP) Hmm, Well I go out with a lot of different people all the time. I'll head out with the Swamp Posse to have some fun, they all know who they are, I've been filming a lot with Cameron Sanchez right now for his video "Overdose" too, umm basically all and any homies who are down to just head out, i just usually just try to make something happen.

(Switch Back 180)
BB) What's been going on lately man, not just with skateboarding, but life as a whole?
AP) Going back to school, Palomar. Gotta get my edumikation, other than that I'm just tryin' to check out some babes, maybe read a little, skate all day, chill hard, sap back on a few beers... play some pool, some poker just whatever.

BB) Who's hooking you up right now?
AP) Utility board shop, and Muffin hooks me up with gear from Tum Yeto.

BB) Haha so we all want to know (from the drunk interview), did you really used to spike your hair but only bleach the tips of the spikes?
AP) (Laughing) I said it man... it's true, it's true. Ay man i was in 5th or 6th grade, i was steppin' into a new world man (Middle School), I guess you could say I was a sheep, I followed the herd with that one. Haha the best part was though is I got the fake shit from Wal-Mart so it wasn't even real bleach. Lightning Gel bitch!

(Switch Kickflip)
BB) (HaHa Don't worry man I've had some crazy hair get-ups haha)
BB) Anyways, On a some-what more serious note, what's your outlook on skateboarding today, like at this very second?
AP) I dunno, it's got it's good side and bad side... I guess right now though, overall, it's sort of a joke. There's a lot of weirdos and people who don't skate, in skateboarding... but I mean either way, I still love it, always will.

BB) Gimme 5 of your favorite bands/musicians right now?
AP) Talking Heads, Bowie, Mac Dre, Bone Thugz (all day), and then anything after a couple coors Og's are cracked, its all soundin good then.

BB) So you've just recently turned 21, How are the bars in the Marcos treatin ya man?
AP) The bars man... The bars are pretty cool. It's the after party--after high school. It's fun, expensive, and overall a good time. There's definitely some ladies cruisen around, some mature birds (laughing), Definitely big shout out to the 49'er (on Mission), place is OG as fuck, it's so grimy, and full of mexicans, but it's OG. My dad's even got a DUI driving home from there, I love that place.

BB) What's up gerbies, any ladies in the mix or what dude?
AP) I was gonna say no but... haha, basically i got homegurls. uhh... c'mon... Loose Lips sink ships dude, i've learned my lesson with that one haha.

BB) Haha alright, What are you doing when your off your skateboard?
AP) I just listen to a lot of music, play pool, poker, some texas hold em, you know, whatevers fun. Nothing too exciting, chillen with the homies, cruisen out on weekend nights, relaxing... you know.

BB) So when are you gonna move out of the Marcos dude, if ever?
AP) I'm actually planning a little something right now to get outta here, but it involves me selling my car and taking a bus outa here. Basically I'm just trying to A.S.A.P though.

(Switch 50-50)
BB) Influences?
AP) Some Russian ripper named Paul that I knew back in the day, basically the dude who got me into skating, umm, zero crew they know who they are, Dr. Seuss, THE GONZ, and of course ALL THE HOMIES.

BB) So are you pretty hyped for (Anthony) Robles getting hooked up with Killer Dana?
AP) Haha, best question ever, I'm super hyped he has a shop sponsor now. Haha, I can finally talk shit back to him about being "the sponsored kid," haha but of course, over all I'm hyped for him, that's sick.

BB) How'd you get the nickname "Gerbz"
AP) Haha, YOU gave it to me--the swamp king haha, and I guess it just stuck. You said I looked like the Gerber baby.

(BackTail @ Sunset)
BB) What's good with the Swamp Blog man?
AP) It's coming together nice man, It went from a company, to a video, to a website. It's sick though, it's just all the homies reppin' man, I'm way down for it.

BB) So what's going on in the future for you Gerbtron?
AP) Well I'm planning on pursuing a lumber jack career, i like the flannels, haha naw, realistically i got NO big plans, just playing it day by day, skating, cruisen, and living. Not much more you can do.

BB) SHOUT OUTS?
AP) First and foremost: Anthony Robles, Brian Blakely, Bobby Johnson, and Tony Malacara--ALL THE OTHER HOMIES, YOU ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE, UTILITY, MUFFIN, marcos park, and all the sexy bitches out there that make me smile. Love for the homies.

BB) More Beer?
AP) Let's go.

(Ollie)





















Cheers Alex.

And thank you Cristian Piravano for the photos. (Crisjon Photos)

-BBswamp

No comments:

Post a Comment